Frequently Asked Questions.
Here are answers to some of the most asked questions.


Do you have pets for adoption?

We do have cats and dogs available for adoption at the ESPCA and cats are available at PetSmart in Enid. We take in homeless pets, get them healthy and then adopt them out to loving homes. The adoption fee to adopt is $85 to adopt a pet from the ESPCA. A pet adopted from the ESPCA will be spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccines, on flea and tick prevention, on heartworm prevention and microchipped. You can view our adoptable pets here.

How does your adoption process work?

Everyone interested in adopting has to fill out an adoption application which can be done here. We process adoption applications on a first-come-first serve basis. Once your adoption application is approved you are welcome to adopt. Filling out an adoption application does not make you obligated to adopt a pet.

Where do you get the pets you adopt out?

Around 85% of the adoptable dogs at the ESPCA come from Enid Animal Control. Pets at Animal Control are at risk of being euthanized, so we try to save as many as we can from there. The other 15% come from owners that can no longer care for their pet.

About 40% of our cats come from Animal Control and 60% from owners that can no longer care for their cat.

Do you euthanize pets?

We do not euthanize pets for space, the pets in our care do not have a “time limit”. An adoptable pet will stay with us as long as it takes for them to find a loving home. We are committed to saving every healthy, behaviorally sound animal we take in.

In the rare instance a veterinarian determines a pet should be euthanized for health reasons we will take the vets recommendation and humanly euthanize.

How long does the adoption process take?

The adoption process starts with finding a pet you would be interested in adopting and submitting an adoption application. As soon as the pet is ready (spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccinations, microchipped and heartworm negative) we will look over the application and contact you if you are the first approved applicant. In most cases pets that are available for adoption can go home the same day you apply for them.

Why do you charge for pets you get for free?

It is true that the adoptable pets come to us initially free of charge either through Enid Animal Control or an owner that can no longer care for the pet. That is just the beginning of our journey with an adoptable pet. Every pet that enters our adoption facility goes through a comprehensive health check. Pets are spayed/neutered, are given vaccines (dogs: DAPP, Rabies, Lepto, Bordetella    cats: FVRCP), dewormed, heartworm tested, given flea and tick prevention and microchipped. We treat any other health issues that may arise. Most of the pets we take in have no previous veterinary history. Last year (2016) we successfully treated 18 dogs that were heartworm positive. We strive to keep our adoption fee reasonable, $85 so families can adopt and

What do I do if I have found a pet?

If you have found a pet in the City of Enid you are required (Ordinance 5-7-12) to contact Enid Animal Control, 580-242-4910 and let them know the following:
a. A detailed physical description of the animal.
b. Any apparent or suspected injuries of the animal.
c. A detailed description of where and how the animal was found/located.
d. A name, address and phone number of where the animal can be located..
A violation of this provision shall have a maximum penalty of two hundred dollars ($200.00) plus costs for each violation.

Once you have contacted Animal Control you have the option of keeping the pet while you actively look for the owner for a minimum of 5 days OR relinquishing the pet the Animal Control. After 5 days of looking for the owner you may decided to rehome the pet or keep the pet for yourself.

Contact us to let us know you have found a pet. Often times owners that are looking for their lost pets will call us. We keep a log when someone reports a pet missing.

We recommend placing an ad in the Enid News and Eagle. It is free if it is a found pet listing.

There’s also several facebook pages you can post on:
Enid Rover Alert
Enid’s Found Pets
Furever Friends Rover Alert

What do I do if I have found a pet?

If you have lost a pet we recommend you go to Enid Animal Control to see if your pet has been picked up or dropped off there. You can call, but please go look for yourself.

Contact us to let us know you have lost your pet so we can keep our eye for your pet too.

Check the Enid News and Eagle as it is free to list found pets in the classifieds.

There’s also several facebook pages you can look on and post on:
Enid Rover Alert
Enid’s Found Pets
Enid’s Lost Pets
Furever Friends Rover Alert

Still need help? Send us a note!

FAQ Form

11 + 1 =

For any other questions, please write us at or call us at (580) 233-1325.


Essential SSL